Monday, October 11, 2010

Go Big Red!!

Sooo...my husband is a DIE HARD Nebraska fan. When he and I were first dating, I did what any girl would do to win a sports guy's heart. I lied. I gushed on and on about how much I LOVED college football. I consider it a harmless little 'white lie'. My husband considers it a premeditated scheme to get a ring on my finger. So, several grueling years of football filled Saturdays (and one wedding ring) later, I finally broke the news to him. I can't stand it. I don't get it. I don't understand how you can LOVE one particular team over another SO much. I don't understand ANY of the rules. For instance, why is it that when one team kicks it to the other team, they do something different EVERY time? Sometimes they run with it, sometimes they let it fall and just WATCH it roll to a stop, and other times they catch it and drop down to their knee?? How do these poor kids even know which one to do? Seriously. I don't get it. I like the tailgating part of football, of course, but the rest of it...um, not so much. Until now.

Barry belongs to an online 'message board' site for Nebraska fans, called HuskerBoard.com. Last week, someone posted a comment that this Friday night there is a piano tailgate in Lincoln, NE that will benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The commentor urged anyone that was in town this weekend for the game to attend the event, stating how great of a cause it was and also listing all of the evening's festivities. Barry responded with a post that said we hoped to be able to make the fundraiser, seeing as though our daughter has CF. And this is where the story begins...that is all it took for this group of Cornhusker fans to rally together for some family they've never met and raise several hundred dollars in our daughter's name. The man even offered to personally buy us tickets to the tailgate to ensure we were able to go. Guess what? Now I get it. Now I understand why people have a favorite team. Now I understand what it means to be a true fan. These people take care of each other. They respect each other and share a sense of friendship even though most of them have never met each other. How cool is that? I'm sure any other team would have done the same for one of their fellow fans, but for my husband's sake (and my marriage!)....GO BIG RED!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment